Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Helmet Cam, Before and After - by Mark Schulze

As I have mentioned in a previous blog post, I am the inventor of the helmet cam. Back in 1987, I rigged an old motorcycle helmet with a camera and hooked it into a 3/4" deck (those who are younger than 30 years old will probably not know what I am talking about) and took this completely top-heavy rig down a few mountains, including the Mammoth Mountain Kamikaze in 1988.

Thought it might interest you to see that helmet cam piece and compare it to a recent mountain bike downhill run through a Southern California ride, about a month ago, using GoPro's helmet camera technology.

I wish this sort of lightweight and high resolution technology had been available back in the "olden times" but I am happy that I was involved, in my own small way, in forwarding Point-of-View footage gathering by way of helmet cam.

Here's the 1987 helmet cam clip:




Mammoth Mountain Kamikaze Downhill, 1988 from Patty Mooney on Vimeo.



And here is the clip from 2010:




Helmet Cam with Olympian Great, John Howard from Patty Mooney on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment