Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Father of the Helmet Cam - by Mark Schulze

Mark Schulze, a Director of Photography and ow...Image via Wikipedia

When I first modified an old motorcycle helmet into a POV camera device back in 1987, I had no clue where such technology would steer. I just did it because I wanted some good footage from a mountain-bike rider's point of view so that my movie, "The Great Mountain Biking Video" would be more interesting to the viewer.

Now I'm in Wikipedia, and featured in this month's Mountain Bike Tales (thanks to my wife, Patty Mooney).

Don't worry, I am not going to get a big head about this, so to speak. I'm happy that technology has reached the point where video cameras now weigh ounces versus pounds, and they now have far greater resolution than ever before. Also, I won't break my neck attempting bike stunts with a camera on my head.

GoPro, a company that manufactures these lightweight cameras for use in sports, in the sky and under water, would like to team up with me as I gather footage in the new century. I will keep you updated on our progress.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment