Thursday, March 26, 2009

Don't Shoot the Brewmaster! - by Mark Schulze

Mark Schulze, Jim Koch and Patty Mooney



Don't shoot the brewmaster! Okay, that's my little allusion to the old quote, "Don't shoot the piano player." It's an inference that you don't want to destroy something or someone that brings you pleasure. And I was being sarcastic, in that I DID shoot this particular brewmaster, Mr. Jim Koch, the CEO of Samuel Adams, but I shot him with my camera when he appeared at the Craft Beers Convention in San Diego last summer. If you've ever seen the Sam Adams commercials on television, yes, that really is Jim's voice.


This is a man who knows his beers! And why not? He is a third-generation brewmaster, and he and his forebears have been immersed in hops for decades. See the taps behind us? That is what they call a "perk" of the gig. It was one of the best video production gigs I have had the pleasure to be a part of.


Some of the finest beers on Earth, right there in that room. Well, as they say, someone has to do it! As someone who is part German, I certainly know how to appreciate well-crafted beers. And so does my wife, Patty, who is part Irish. 'Nuf said.

No comments:

Post a Comment